Driver Warning: Drivers are urged to avoid keeping beer in cars as it can cause damage

Motoring experts in GSF car parts Drivers across the UK have been warned not to store certain items in their cars during heat waves. Two of them are wine and beer, which can cause considerable damage during the summer months.

The consequences can range from overheating electronic devices to large cleaning bills.

When it comes to wine and beer bottles, experts said leaving them in a car during a heat wave can cause more than just a weird taste.

An unlucky Birmingham resident recently found out the hard way.

The driver left a bottle of Prosecco in her car in the hot weather, only for it to explode, leaving her with a £2,258 cleaning bill to repair the damage.

READ MORE: Drivers urged to be on the lookout for ominous tire marks

When the battery gets hot, it can disrupt its protective structure and leak acid into your car.

Battery acid is corrosive and is also dangerous if inhaled, so if you return to your car and find a battery that has exploded, be sure to clean it up as soon as possible.

Even if the battery doesn’t leak, it can also lose capacity after leaving it in your car, so it’s worth taking it inside for storage.

Electronics devices

Always remove your phone and any other electronic devices from your car if you are leaving it for an extended period of time.

Many phones have a safe temperature window within which they can operate, and you can look for this on the manufacturer’s website.

It will also indicate the maximum temperature your phone can withstand.

Many phones also show you a warning when they start to overheat, so when you see this, you should move them to a cooler place.

Other electronic devices should also be kept out of hot vehicles.

The heat can damage the batteries or any plastic casing, or overheat them so that the operating system does not work properly.

sunscreen

Sunscreen is another item that is very easy to forget and leave in your car when you are out in the sun.

But if you leave it in your vehicle too long, you may come back to find that it has a rather strange odor, and in extreme heat, the bottle cap may have popped open due to pressure.

Sunscreen that has been left exposed to heat tends to become unusable as it freezes due to the temperature. It is advisable to treat it like an expired sunscreen and replace it.

Leave a comment

Stay up to date

Register now to get updates on promotions and coupons

Shopping cart

×