The City of Roanoke Rapids will observe Halloween and encourage trick-or-treating from 5-9 pm on October 31.
According to a press release from Chief Bobby Martin, parents and guardians are also encouraged to share these safety tips with their children:
• Cross streets at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks when possible.
• Look left, right, and left again when crossing.
• Put down electronic devices and keep your head up to stay alert.
• Walk Do not Run.
• Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible. Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Teach children never to run into the street or cross between parked cars.
Trick or treat with an adult
Children under 12 years old should not be left alone at night without adult supervision. If older children are mature enough to go out unattended, remind them to stick to familiar areas that are well lit.
Keep YOUR costumes safe
• Wear costumes that are flame resistant, bright and reflective.
• Choose non-toxic face paint and makeup instead of full face masks, which can obstruct a child’s vision.
• Have children carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
• Ensure a proper fit to avoid tripping hazards.
Drive safely on Halloween
• Slow down and be alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and can move unpredictably.
• Take extra time to look for children at intersections, in medians, and on sidewalks.
• Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
• Eliminate in-vehicle distractions, especially smartphone use, so you can always focus on the road and your surroundings.
For more Halloween safety tips, visit safekids.org.
Free events in the area
• A Trunk-or-Treat will be from 5:30 to 8 pm on October 31 in the Aquatics Center parking lot at Sixth and Carolina streets. If your business or community organization would like to participate by decorating your vehicle and giving out candy, please contact Tina May or Police Chief Bobby Martin at 252-533-2810 to reserve your spot. For more information, call Parks and Recreation at 252-533-2847 extension 3.
• Halloween Carnival with games, candy and a selfie station from 6 to 8 pm on October 31 at the TJ Davis Recreation Center, 400 E. Sixth St.
• Halloween Party with games, snacks and candy from 6 to 8 pm on October 31 at the Chaloner Recreation Center, 200 Dixie St.
• KnightXrawlers ATV Club Inc., an Enfield nonprofit, will host a Halloween Trunk or Treat event from 5:30 to 8 pm on October 31 at Enfield Parks & Recreation, 602 Railroad St. in Enfield. There will be music, games, food, fun and much more, all children are welcome. If you would like to set up a candy/treat giveaway or if you would like to make a donation, please call 252-801-8357 or 252-406-5621, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.